Monday, March 20, 2006

Yup, Pretty Sure I Got Hoodwinked

Upon further investigation (of his other writings), it indeed looks like Jimmy's posts were some form of meta-sarcasm with which, until now, I hadn't, unfortunately, been introduced. Oops.

At least, that's what I hope.

Examples:

UPDATE: My hope was quenched. Quoth the Thought Leader:

Many folks haven't figured out that I too am a fan of Ruby. The problem I think the community has is when folks separate what they like from what they will "recommend" and push for the enterprise. In talking with other architects in corporate America, they too have came to the same conclusion. It doesn't matter if you feel any perspective I state is valid or not, what matters is that others may be thinking the same thing and it is in the best interest of the community to have canned answers to them. Oh by the way, don't get it twisted and think that every single opinion is my own because that would be highly inaccurate...

I don't really buy the premise that I need to be spending my free time answering questions that are meaningless to me, but at least we know his motivation's clean... ish.

2 Comments:

At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am confused. He offered to help the Ruby community port to Z/OS and he works for a large enterprise which could help counter his own argument. Why wouldn't the community support this undertaking?

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Devin said...

1. "The community" doesn't think as one. As a matter of fact, I'd venture to say there's not just one community. At the very least, there are distinct, if overlapping, Ruby and Rails communities. In any case, while a community is made up of individuals who have something in common, that something isn't "the brain." So, what you should be asking is, "Why hasn't anyone taken him up on his offer?"

2. I can't speak for anyone else, but:
a. I have a bad reputation of not finishing what I started, so I tend not to start things unless I'm really serious about that.
b. I, personally, don't care at all about a Z/OS port.
c. He doesn't seem to understand Ruby in the least, so he wouldn't be of any help in the port.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home